You know how much we love Christmas lights. We are always looking for fun new ways to use them around the house or for entertaining. This pretty origami box project by Lia Griffith is perfectly suited to sprucing up your indoor string lights. Though a number of steps are involved, basic origami boxes are quick and simple to make.
They used two sizes of square origami papers in three different colors to make these little origami boxes. Origami paper is really easy to find in most good craft stores or online. You can buy it in literally any color you want as well as pretty patterned papers which we think would be gorgeous for this project!
To make an origami box for your string lights, go ahead and follow our simple tutorial below:
It’s an easy step-by-step process but your finished product will benefit from a little accuracy, so try to fold with care. Once you have made as many boxes as you need, you can gently pop the bulbs through the top of each box along your string of lights. Hang them from your tree, in the window or wrap them around a painted branch like we have below. CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO INSTRUCTIONS.
- SELECT VARIOUS SIZES AND COLORS OF ORIGAMI PAPER
- FOLD IN HALF DIAGONALLY
- FOLD OPPOSITE SIDE DIAGONALLY
- FLIP OVER PAPER AND FOLD IN HALF
- FOLD OPPOSITE SIDE IN HALF; POP UP CENTER
- LAY FLAT WITH TWO POINTS ON EACH SIDE
- FOLD BOTTOM POINT TO MEET TOP POINT ON BOTH RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE
- FLIP OVER
- REPEAT STEP 7
- FOLD OUTSIDE POINTS TO MIDDLE
- FLIP OVER AND REPEAT STEP 10
- PULL SMALL TRIANGLES OUT ON EACH SIDE
- FOLD OUTSIDE POINTS TO CENTER AS SHOWN
- PULL UP SMALL TRIANGLE AND INSERT INTO OPENING IN LARGER TRIANGLE
- FLIP OVER AND REPEAT STEPS 12-14
- BLOW AIR INTO TOP OPENING TO EXPAND INTO BOX
- ATTACHED TO STRING LIGHTS
Once you get going it should only take you a minute to make each one. These origami boxes produce beautiful, diffuse squares of light.