Christmas and lights go hand-in-hand together. However, not everyone has the energy, know-how and time to efficiently and creatively decorate with Christmas lights. There are many people who want to have their homes or businesses decorated, but don’t like climbing tall ladders or untangling old lights. However there are many other people that find great enjoyment in installing Christmas lights and it’s not unusual to wonder how those of us that do make our living doing this professionally actually got started. We are often asked if we have any tips for starting a Christmas lighting installation business.
HERE ARE TIPS FOR STARTING A CHRISTMAS LIGHT INSTALLATION BUSINESS
1. Use quality Christmas lights. Since the business is that of installation of Christmas light, you will need to source for quality lights in bulk quantity at an affordable price. One good place to get them is We Sell Christmas Lights.com
2. Use quality clips or stakes. The last thing you want to do is revisit an installation because some discount-store clips snapped off or face an homeowner’s disappointment because you installed their lights with a power stapler. Some clips and attachments can be permanently installed or installed with silicone – especially on stucco and horizontal surfaces. Be sure to review these options with your client.
3. Get professional training. We know your time is valuable and we know what it takes for you to properly learn this business. The first option is our webinar and video training events. This is quickly becoming our most popular option! We have received EXCELLENT feedback from individuals / companies that have take advantage of this very convenient training method. Do you want to go into this business with some “Hands On” experience? If so, our (2) day “in person” training events are just what you are looking for! We start by having you watch our detailed webinar and videos (within 2 weeks prior to the live event). You will then join us for 2 days “in the field”, participating in “hands on exercises” of items that were discussed and detailed in the webinar and videos. This is hands down the most comprehensive training in the industry & we will teach you everything that you need to know about this great business! Head over to our training page for more info.
4. Think outside the box and stay on top of trends. Your customers want their Christmas lights to stand out from a crowd. Set up a google account and set alerts on different types of lights and topics related to decorating for the Holidays. You’ll get regular emails giving you a heads up on the latest news related to the industry. As a professional lighting installer, you’ll want to make sure you are completely familiar with the different styles and types of lights available so you’ll know what options are available for your customers and ballpark cost figures.
5. Install the lights on your own home. Your own home can become your best business card. Note the time it takes you and how close your preliminary measurements for length of lights required matches reality.
6. Have most of your orders lined up as early in the season as possible. All over the country, Christmas light importers and distributors start receiving their Christmas light products August. Light sets and lighting products with 12-inch spacing have been known to run out by the beginning of November.
7. Give your first few customers a discount if they’ll let you display a yard sign. Word of mouth and drive by advertising beats every other kind of marketing – ask any real estate agent about the power of curb appeal.
We Hang Christmas Lights
is the #1 Christmas Light Installation Business Since 1997.
We paved the way and now we’re focused on helping others in the industry get started. Through years of trial and error, continuing education in the industry and on-going research we have the knowledge necessary help you start, manage, and grow a successful Christmas light installation business.
The best tip for starting a Christmas light installation business is to contact us TODAY!
Fill out the application below to get started and call us with any questions 951-541-4482.